Friday, July 9, 2010

Community Action Project Blogs

Post One: Today our group brainstormed a topic and finally picked one with Ada Hayden Park and Peterson Pits. I think we are going to try and clean up the surrounding areas because they are environmental areas that everyone in the community of Ames likes to enjoy.

Post Two: Today as a group we decided to do some research about the area and find out some historical information. Found out that Ada Hayden was once a quarry and is used for a water reserve if the rainfall is low.

Post Three: Today I took a trip out to Peterson Pits to go fishing and a problem I noticed is people don't treat the area with respect like they should be. I saw trash by the picnic tables that was just left there, this is a problem and needs to fixed.

Post Four: As a group we have started narrowing down a date that we can make our clean-up efforts. I think we will stick with Ada Hayden as the cleanup location just because it's closer to town and more people actually know about the area.

Post Five: The clean up was today at Ada Hayden and I have to say I was a bit surprised. There really wasn't as much garbage or trash as I expected there to be. But the we cleaned up the trash that was there, and made the area cleaner.

Post Six: Reflecting back on the clean up, the things I wish we could have done is have more time to plan out a greater effort for a different more dirty location like the Skunk River. Another thing I wish we had was the man power so we could cover a greater area and maybe do a better job cleaning up. But I was pleased with my first cleanup effort in Ames and hopefully I can do one again in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment